Tuesday, March 31, 2009

5 Years Of LOVE




This is so late but I thought better late than never. On March 20 we celebrated our 5 year anniversary. Well, not really celebrated because Brett was in Florida for work, but we still rented a movie and exchanged small gifts. While he was gone, I was just thinking about how fast it has gone by. We dated for 3 1/2 years and to this day I am still as in love with him as I was when we were dating. Even more so. He is my companion, best friend, lover, cheerleader, therapist, soul mate, encourager and SO MUCH MORE!




The way we met was pretty funny. I was a mere 16 (turning 17 in January) and he was just turning 19 on the 18th of December.

It was December 2000, and I (not being a stranger to the dragging main fiasco) was out with my friends, scoutin' out the hotties, as if it were just like any other weekend night. Reeling in the keepers and such.

On this particular night we were parked at the Shopko parking lot when this navy blue dodge pulls up with these hot guys. But as soon as we started to talk, a cop pulls up and kicks us out of the parking lot. I was like bummer! But we just followed them under the overpass behind Shopko and again the cop was right there! "This can't be happening!". As we start heading down the road to turn around I think to myself that it could possibly be my dad.....and lo and behold guess who? As he passes us, to go after the guys in front, I totally recognize my dad and watch in complete horror as he pulls the guys over. I was just praying that they were the good guys we thought they were and didn't have any alcohol or something like that with them. For all my dad knows at that moment....Kelsey and I could have known them forever! And I know he was just curious to see who I was talking to. I have dragged main a lot and my dad has never done this! *Little did we know and later would find out that there was a bar at the end of this road we were going down, so I can only imagine what my dad was thinking lol.*
As I drove home that night I thought that I was surely never going to see the hot dark haired guy again! But two weeks later, guess who shows up?!?!

We were parked at a gas station and having decked out the outside of the car with balloons and feather boas, and spent a couple hours making ourselves look D-E-V-I-N-E, we knew that we would get noticed by potential man beef. Maybe even someone we could call a boyfriend, but that is soooooo pushing your luck! If you've ever dragged main you know exactly what I'm talking about with the choices you have out there.

So here comes this dodge truck, a white one this time, with some guys who pull up right along side of us and we quickly recognize that its the gorgeous creatures from 2 weekends ago. We get out to flaunt our hot high school selves and think that we can't get any luckier running into them again! I immediately spot the one with dark hair and think "he is so mine!". My friend Kelsey spotted the blonde and was all about him. As they jumped out of their truck to talk to us, a girl jumps out also and runs to a car parked behind us. I then conclude that of course the one that I was set on is hooked up. DANG! But as I was observing the situation, the hottie with dark hair seems upset and gets back in the truck. Well, me being the fiesty redhead mind you, decides spur of the moment to jump in the truck and starts asking him what is wrong. He tells me that the girl with them is his girlfriend and he is mad at her because when she saw her ex-boyfriend parked behind us she got out and ran over to talk to him.

The next thing I remember, we all jumped in the truck and went for a ride. We talked about her and other stuff I can't really remember because all I could think at that moment was "just forget about her and ask me for my number!". When we got back to the parking lot, she was fuming to say the least because not only did we leave her there, but because she saw my friend and I jump out. I gave her a nasty look, him my phone number and said "hope it all works out!". I think I remember wishing that he'd call me the next day, but yeah right cause we are talking about guys....hello! He did call me the same weekend and I was super excited even though I had missed his call. When I checked my caller ID, I got his number and made my friend Kelsey talk to him on party line with me lol. I don't think I said a word for the first 20 minutes or so because I was all giddy and nervous. But then we talked and it was all history. Yes, he still had the girlfriend at that first phone call but he dumped her the next day. It was so cool!

Falling in love with Brett was so easy. He was everything I could have ever wanted and returned that same love to me. We spent almost everyday together whether my parents knew it or not lol. I have to confess that I sluffed to see him and would drive all the way to Genola just to spend an hour or so with him before he went to work. A couple of times his dad was at home and answered the door when I showed up, he knew I was lovestruck. Within a month of dating, Brett said "I love you". I had never felt like this with anyone before. I had quite a few boyfriends before Brett and didn't even come close to feeling with them what I had with him. I knew after we had been dating for 6 months or so that he was the one, but we were so young.



On the day of our anniversary I got out our wedding video. I do this every time and it never fails to make me cry when I watch it. It truly was the best day of my life! When Brett and I look at each other, even today, we get a little freaked out that we met that way. And Brett always tells me that he is so embarrassed to tell people how we met. Maybe its because they picture him with a mullet and me with missing teeth, but people just get the biggest kick out of it. O-well, I know I am the luckiest girl alive!


6 comments:

Diana said...

Yea!! Thanks for sharing your story! It's a riot and you look like a little babe in your bridal pictures! What a beautiful young thing you were/are! Cute story!

Emily said...

What a cute story. I love it...especially the part about your dad...that is soooo funny.

You and Brett are such a cute couple. Also, what beautiful pictures...you are so gorgeous.

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

What a classic story! That is so funny. My husband and I also met in a very cliche way, at my best friends wedding! Anyway, congrats on five years.

Nielsen clique said...

I love that story Jina. Congradulation on the 5. It only gets better and better.

*Sarah Johnson* said...

You totally had me rolling around on the floor!!!I never knew that was how you and Brett met....good old main street it'll never let ya down LOL!!! Congratulation though on 5 years that is so awesome!!!

lacey said...

oh jina that is such a good story i smiled the hole time reading it and had goose bumps the sametime. oh the good old days that story brought back such good memiores. i am so happy for you guys you guys are so made for each other.