Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Tribute To My Grandpa


On Sunday, May 3, 2009, my grandpa, Frank Haymore passed away. I will miss him dearly. I remember as a child helping my grandpa in his yard with raking, sweeping, and picking up the pine cones that would fall off the old trees. I remember that he had lots of orchard trees and he was always insisting that we pick the fruit and put it to good use before it goes to waste. We would make jams, jellies, pie filling, and apple juice. He felt strongly about food storage and being self sufficient.

He was a good man, devoted to the church and served many callings. He cherished my grandma for 70 years. They were never apart for long amounts of time, well, except for the BYU (he was a HUGE fan of basketball and football) games lol. He is a great example of marriage to me.

I often think of how long he had the privilege to be here. I am in total awe at all the things he saw throughout his life.

He left a lot of family here to carry on his name, memories and heritage, but he is now joining many loving spirits who have missed him more than we could ever know. I am glad that he will be able to see them and be in the greatest of all health.
I know that he had a testimony of the gospel. He loved our savior and showed it in the way he served.

His personality was funny. When making jokes he never thought you were funny, but if he teased you, then he would laugh. I will miss his singing. He had a very merry soul and had nicknames for everyone.

As I think about life after having someone close to me pass away, and this is terrible having thought this now, I wonder if I am spending enough time with those around me that I love. I wish I would have taken the opportunity of visiting my grandpa alot more, but will never forget the man that I knew.

I am honored to be his descendant and to carry on bits of him. I will always cherish the memories that I have of him.

3 comments:

Meg said...

I am so sorry, I have thought of your grandpa & grandma often. He was a great man, and I remember he would tell me that my children would never be basketball players because I was so short. He will be missed. Please give your mom my love.

The Ahlins said...

I am sorry jina. I hope that everything will be okay with you and your family! we love you!

The Marvelous Mrs. Miller said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. He sounds like an amazing man. our thoughts & prayers are with you. = )