So all I have to say is that she has saved our lives! After so many sleepless nights, tantrums, back talking, and defiant personality characteristics coming out, Brett and I have had ENOUGH! So let me start from the beginning.......
Last week I took some things back to the library and while I was there Brady was not behaving. He usually does really well and is quiet, staying just in the kid area. Well, this particular time he was chasing some little boy all over laughing and screaming. I kept telling him over and over to stop but he would not listen. And every time I went after him (which was not easy to do holding a car seat with 18 lb. Owen inside who was getting fussier each minute) he thought I was playing some kind of game and would run from me. Let's just say that by the time I caught him I was fuming! Well, as I was looking around before all this I found this book called "The SuperNanny", which is by Jo Frost who does the TV show. I was like "Hey I could use a little advise" lol. So the whole thing with Brady happens and I storm up to the check out with Owen in one hand and Brady in the other fighting me to let him go.
I slam the book on the counter and the little old library lady looks at the book and then up at me......I knew she understood everything right there.
I checked it out and carried it out to my car like it was the holiest book ever, knowing that all the answers that I needed were inside.
I started reading it and there are so many great tips and techniques. Before all this, I was putting my kids to bed at 10:30 p.m. which didn't leave Brett and I with any time for ourselves... unless we stayed up until 12:00. I have never been one to be for schedules.
In the book it tells that kids are better kids if they have specific times for meals, naps, and bedtime, so I started with that. Now my kids are awake at 7:00 a.m., napping at 12:00 a.m., and in bed at 8:00 p.m. It is wonderful! Brady is alot happier and doesn't talk back, or throw tantrums hardly at all.
With Owen he was waking at LEAST 6 times a night. It was killing me! So we are currently training him to go to sleep with out us or the bottle. It is called her "Controlled Crying Technique". You put your baby in bed, say to them "go to sleep" and walk out. 5 minutes later, go in and say "mommy is here, go to sleep", and walk out. No cuddling, kissing, picking them up, touching or anything. Then extend the time to 10 minutes, walk in and say the same thing. After that its every 15 minutes from now on and within an hour they should be asleep. Last night he was asleep in 30 minutes. It was sooo hard to let him cry for that long! I hate letting my kids cry. During the night you do the same thing. He did pretty good, only crying for 10 minutes at most at times and falling asleep again. But we will see how the next few nights go! She says the first 3 nights are just grueling and then they are sleeping through the night.
This book is worth reading! She talks about everything: bedtimes, meal times, time-outs, picky dressers, tantrums etc. from kids 0-10. Thank goodness for the SuperNanny!

9 comments:
I'm sorry you have had such a hard time. But I bet your glad you found that book! When you say things like this it makes me wonder how my kids are going to be..at least I can come to you for advice:)
I'm going to get that book today! I was going to call you on your birthday but I forgot so I'm telling you now, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Love Ya,
Sounds so great. I may need to check that book out. I need to figure out how to get Quinn on a routine...this no sleep thing is killing me. LOL
Yes, I do remember who you are!!!! I am so glad that you left a comment. I think the last time I saw you was at Rhett and Brianna's wedding and you were like 6 months pregnant! hahah that is so crazy how fast time flies! Your boys are adorable! Good luck with the supernanny techniques!!!
Sounds like I will have to have this book on hand in the coming months! Thanks for the referral!
And, thank you for the comment on our blog. It's so good to see your family and revel in the shared challenges of motherhood. I'm glad you found us. We really appreciate your support and prayers. Thank you.
Looks like a bunch of us have found you through your comments! I'm thrilled that I now know you are blogging! Yea! One more ward member I can stalk! Actually, I won't just stalk you... I really do enjoy commenting too! It was fun to see you this morning at the shower! Talk to you soon!
my sister gave me a book called, the baby whisperer b/c carter wasn't sleeping. it was working for carter until he got a cold and couldn't breathe anymore. so frustrating! i invited you to my blog so you should have an email, check your junk mail too just in case :)
hey, I am going to have to try and sleep train my Corbin too. Im for CIO it's just that its hard on the mom too!!
Uh seriously i need that book!!! no joke!.... and hey i din't know you even had a blog and I'm not sure mine is private at the moment i was gonna go private but then i decided not to cuz i don't have anyones email.. so add mine shany2die4@hotmail.com and send me yours please! I'm new at this blog thing and between myspace facebook and here holy cow i can barely keep up i swear!
Post a Comment