Every year I want to make a gingerbread house and this is the first year I attempted the (un-beknownst to me) hard endeavor. I remember making one in elementary school and having so much fun placing candy on it and showing the masterpiece to my mom with a huge smile on my face but well.....here is the tale....
I am a very detailed person and I love to create, organize, and decorate things. Sometimes in my mind I am more talented than I am in real life lol. As I was drumming up the idea of what I wanted to do and how everything was going to go, I never would have thought it would take me 2 days and all the muscles in my freaking body to make a little gingerbread beauty.
I went out, had candy in my mind I wanted to use, and collected little bits here and there. Yes, that was the easiest part. I then came home and started making the gingerbread from scratch which didn't seem to hard either.
In the recipe it says to roll up the gingerbread (after mixing all the ingredients together) and let it sit until cool. I did that and then began to roll it out to cut into the pieces for the house. Note to self and all others thinking about making one *Don't let it cool before rolling it out! It was tougher than diggin a whole in dried cement. I used every one of my muscles (and some I didn't know I even had) to roll out enough to cut one wall. I was up on my countertop, on my knees, pushing with all my might!
It was then after getting enough of the pieces cut out to constuct a proper house, that I decided to look at an example on the internet of one already made. Yeah... I had cut the front and back piece wrong so I improvised with some cardboard.
After glueing it and getting the frosting made to the perfect consistency I began the fun part of decorating. That's when my mind went blank and all ideas of proper candy placement left my brain. So here you have it: A lop-sided, looks like a 4th grader made it, gingerbread masterpiece made from yours truly lol.
This year was definitely a learning experience in the gingerbread house department! I had a good time laughing at myself though and plan on making this into a tradtion for the years to come. Brady had fun being the supervisor of where things needed to go and eating as much candy as he could before I had it all glued to the thing.
I am a very detailed person and I love to create, organize, and decorate things. Sometimes in my mind I am more talented than I am in real life lol. As I was drumming up the idea of what I wanted to do and how everything was going to go, I never would have thought it would take me 2 days and all the muscles in my freaking body to make a little gingerbread beauty.
I went out, had candy in my mind I wanted to use, and collected little bits here and there. Yes, that was the easiest part. I then came home and started making the gingerbread from scratch which didn't seem to hard either.
In the recipe it says to roll up the gingerbread (after mixing all the ingredients together) and let it sit until cool. I did that and then began to roll it out to cut into the pieces for the house. Note to self and all others thinking about making one *Don't let it cool before rolling it out! It was tougher than diggin a whole in dried cement. I used every one of my muscles (and some I didn't know I even had) to roll out enough to cut one wall. I was up on my countertop, on my knees, pushing with all my might!
It was then after getting enough of the pieces cut out to constuct a proper house, that I decided to look at an example on the internet of one already made. Yeah... I had cut the front and back piece wrong so I improvised with some cardboard.
After glueing it and getting the frosting made to the perfect consistency I began the fun part of decorating. That's when my mind went blank and all ideas of proper candy placement left my brain. So here you have it: A lop-sided, looks like a 4th grader made it, gingerbread masterpiece made from yours truly lol.
This year was definitely a learning experience in the gingerbread house department! I had a good time laughing at myself though and plan on making this into a tradtion for the years to come. Brady had fun being the supervisor of where things needed to go and eating as much candy as he could before I had it all glued to the thing.

3 comments:
ha! I think it looks pretty good! much better than I could do!
haha thats so funny i love the story :) and you dont give your self enough credit it turned out so cute!! what a intresting way to get your workout in :)
It's adorable! All that hard work paid off LOL!
Post a Comment