And almost instantly, I felt extremely compelled to go see him.
He lost his sweetheart last year in June. And before my Grandma Nielsen, my Grandpa Haymore passed away in May of last year. So I was all too familiar with the feelings of what it is like to loose a grandparent. I just knew in my heart that Grandpa Nielsen was leaving us too.
The next day, Thursday, I loaded up the boys and headed out to Santaquin where he is being cared for by an assisted living home. I didn't know what physical shape to expect Grandpa to be in but prepared myself for anything.
Or so I thought.
As I walked in the door, I had flashes that went through my mind. Memories of the last time I had seen him. He was lively and had smiles in his eyes. He was slow but could get around with his cane and remembered things well. His eye sight was great and he wanted to know how you'd been.
Holding the hands of my boys, we stepped into his room. There he laid, on his reclined lazy-boy chair. He didn't flinch or even know of our presence. I contemplated waking him, but I stood there thinking I should wait. Wanting him to get his rest and come back later. But I had this urge to talk to him and tell him that we came to see him. So I walked up and rubbed his arm.
He woke up a little startled, mumbling something I couldn't quite make out and gave us a sly smile. Then he leaned his head over to the side and closed his eyes. It seemed that he had fallen back asleep. I took his hand, surprised by how cool it was and gently squeezed. Again the same result. He would awaken for maybe 2 minutes, mumble something and close his eyes.
It broke my heart to see my Grandpa that way. It was so unlike him. To even communicate for just a couple minutes I had to constantly physically touch him to keep him there with me. I asked him if he needed a drink of water or if there was anything I could get him. A drink was what came across that he wanted. I went out of the room and grabbed the nearest nurse to help me. She came in and helped him. I was so impressed with how gentle and caring she was with him. It was like she was talking and taking care of a newborn baby.
There were times when I couldn't handle it and stepped out of the room to cry. I couldn't let Grandpa see me that way. My boys sat so still and completely silent and if they somehow knew more than I.
When I needed a break, I went across the hall and down a couple doors to visit my Grandma Haymore, who is being cared for there as well.
When I walked into her room I saw this: (Sorry that it is sideways, I have no idea why because it wasn't like this when I loaded it).
I was relieved to see my Grandma doing so well. We sat and talked for a while. She loved seeing my kids and told them what their different fingers are called. It was so cute!
She told me how she loves to do the home's laundry, that it keeps her busy. This is how I always remembered her. She was always busy doing the duties of a great housekeeper, wife and mother. She is a true role model for me in my life.
She is so funny and easy to talk to. I miss my shopping trips with her and enjoying the lunches she would make for us when we would come to her house to help clean. I miss the sleep-overs and sewing projects she would let me do. She loved to quilt and I loved tying them with her and her teaching me how to do things just perfectly.
When it was time to say good-bye to her, she told me to come see her again soon. I love that it made her day to have us come see her.
Brady took this picture of us, isn't it cute?
As I walked back to my Grandpa's room, I expected him to be asleep, but he was wide awake. I was relieved and sat beside him to talk. He was mumbling again and I sensed that he needed something so I went to the nurses again and they helped him go to the bathroom.
Those nurses are amazing people. Just watching them and all the work it takes just to help someone stand up to go a few feet is hard and patience testing. I thanked them for all that they were doing.
When he was back, sitting comfortable in his chair, I didn't know how long he was going to be alert so I grabbed his hand and told him that I loved him. The first two times I said it he didn't act like he had heard me. I didn't want to leave without telling him this, so I grabbed his hand inbetween mine and said, "I love you, Grandpa".
At that moment, he looked me in the eyes and told me, "I love you too".
I was so relieved and happy that I was able to say that and him respond.
As I left, I knew it was going to be the last time I saw him. I cried on the way home.
It is so hard to say goodbye even though you know they have lived a great life and are going to be seeing loved ones again. Five days later he passed away. Even though I had said my goodbyes that day, it still cut me like a knife to hear the words that he was gone.
I am heartbroken for my dad. I love him so much and it sucks to see and know that he is in pain. They were more than father and son. They were best friends.
My Grandpa was an amazing man. He married my Grandma 3 weeks before he graduated high school. He served in the Navy during World War II in the South Pacific. He work 32 years for Geneva Steel and served many church callings including; Elder's Quorum President, Ward Clerk and High Priest Group Leader. He also worked in the Provo Temple.
My Grandpa always had words of advice for me. He would constantly remind me that I needed to slow down and not rush my life by, not matter what I was so called, "In a hurry", to do. He always wanted me to enjoy the things that were right then. "You'll have plenty of time", he would tell me.
The best thing that I get to carry on from my Grandpa is my red hair. He also had red hair and lots of freckles. It makes me smile to picture him that way. I have only known him with his wise white hair. I love it when people ask me where I got it from and I can say my Grandpa. I know it makes him proud too.
I cherish how much he loved my Grandma and how they were always important to each other. I will never forget how happy he was to see my boys on our last visit and how he looked me in the eyes with smiles in his and told me he loved me.
I will miss him very much. As my family and I prepare for his funeral, I imagine him saying this to us:
Miss me, but let me go
When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom filled room
Why cry for a soul set free
Miss me a little - but not too long
And not with your head bowed low
Remember the love that we once shared
Miss me - but let me go
For this is a journey that we must all take
And each other must go alone
It's all part of the Master's plan
A step on the road to home
When you are lonely, and sick of heart
Go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds
Miss me - but let me go
-Anon
I can't wait to see you again Grandpa!

2 comments:
I'm so sorry that you lost your grandpa but so glad got one last visit with him.
I wonder if our grandpas knew each other - mine worked at Geneva Steel too for about a bazillion years. :)
Jina I am so sorry for the loss of your grandpa. That is the most precious thing that you got to tell him you loved him and he responded back to you! I read this and remembered like it was yesterday that my grandma passed. Its been 12 years and I still think of all the wonderful things she did for me. And the wonderful things she taught me! I love her and miss her so much. If you ever need anything jina let me know.
Post a Comment